When the waves come


I'm not sure when it started.  And I'm not sure it was a specific event.  It may be the fact that I am just growing older, and unfortunately, am more aware of what is going on around me.

But I have had this sense of foreboding that I have been carrying around with me for quite some time.

I think it was sometime last fall, although I can't pinpoint an exact time.

I think it was a number of things that just piled on top of one another.  Things I had heard on the news, the election and all that it entailed, more and more sinful things becoming mainstream and accepted in society. The sense, that although it is not physical persecution, that there is definitely verbal persecution going on against God and His people.

I wouldn't say it made me fearful.  But definitely anxious.  It seemed I could reassure myself with God's word.  But I would fall right back into the state of anxiety so quickly.  The peace never seemed to last.

The anxiety wasn't crippling, I could get through life without even acknowledging it on the outside.  But there always seemed to be this little dark seed hanging out somewhere in my chest, maybe even my heart.  It was evasive enough that I couldn't pinpoint it, but I knew it was there nonetheless.

It seemed, despite my efforts to go back to God's word, that I continued to feel this way.

And then in church last Sunday Psalm 93 was read aloud, and a picture came to my mind:

The floods have lifted up, O Lord, the floods have lifted up their voice; the floods lift up their waves.
The Lord on high is mightier than the noise of many waters, yea, than the mighty waves of the sea.

As the part about the floods lifting up their voice was read, I was envisioning the waters as the verbal persecution, the media, their voices getting louder and louder as they spoke out against Christ and all He stands for.  And the waves themselves as the movements that are happening in this country: abortion, pedophilia, homosexuality, Godlessness.  They are waves that are threatening to over take us, drown us out.

But verse 4 gives us this hope:  God is MIGHTIER than the noise, He is MIGHTIER than the waves.

I found such comfort in those two verses.  Because, as the disciples discovered, "even the wind and WAVES obey Him!" Matthew 8:27

I was still reveling on these verses days later, when I heard read the verses of Isaiah 40:
Verse 15:
    Surely the nations are like a drop in a bucket;
    they are regarded as dust on the scales;
    he weighs the islands as though they were fine dust.


Read by themselves, it kinda sounds like we are insignificant to God (which is SO not true).  But what I pulled from it was that when it feels like the nations are raging, and wars may abound, to God it is like dust on the scales, a drop in the bucket.  If he doesn't see it as a big deal, why should I?  If I am to have the mind of Christ, why must I worry about all this stuff?

It's easier said than done.  But I hope that I can come back to these verses (and maybe this post) as a reminder to God's power...and control.

Comments

  1. Great encouragement, nichole!

    One bible study I did stated that when the Bible esp old testament refers to "many waters", it signifies fearsome troubles & trials. makes me appreciate that psalm even more, seeing God's control over trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, sister! I love this post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Tell me how you live intentional. I'd love to know!

Popular posts from this blog

The jig is up

Madeline Nichole Suvar

Of loss and hope