A lesson from a bird

I'm sure she thought it was a good idea.  It looked safe, she had done things like this before and it had worked out.

Why should she wonder if this time it would not be safe?

But I could tell.  From my vantage point it was not a good idea.

A robin built her nest on the front porch of our home.  On a windowsill, solid brick, safe from the rain and wind.  In theory it should work.

But that porch sees 13 different people coming and going all day long; 4 of them teenage boys, 3 of them small children.

For weeks the nest sat empty and I thought - hoped - the robin had obtained some smarts and found a new place to roost.

Then one day Hannah comes running to be to tell me of a surprise she found.

A beautiful blue robin's egg.




My heart sort of sank.  I did not have high hopes of it's survival.  I gently warned our kids about not disturbing the nest, leaving the egg alone.

I should have told the boys.

The egg lasted a whole day.  Sigh.

And some of you may not believe this but, I cried.  I cried for that momma robin who would come back to find no baby.  Yep.  That's my life as an emotional roller coaster.

But, as so many instances in life, this too holds a lesson for me.

How often to I forge ahead with something, convinced I am doing the right thing, that I can see all the pieces at play and know I am choosing the right path.  Say a quick prayer, thinking there is now a blessing attached to my plan.

And God is shaking His head and thinking "why is she building her nest there?"

"Why is she placing her trust in that?  Something that is doomed to fail, not last?"

If only I could have communicated to the robin that if she would have just built her nest on the other side of the house, on a different windowsill, her egg may have turned out differently.

If only I would stop and listen to God's leading, instead of forging ahead with my own thoughts, ideas, perceptions.

Because He can see the big picture.  I cannot.

Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.”  Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.  Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that."  James 4:13-15

I need to stop flitting around, building my nest, making my plans, and listen to God's voice, and His plan for me.  Whether it is as big a plan as to where we are to live or work, or as simple a plan as finding the joy in the everyday, His creation.  

God's plan is always best.

Comments

  1. I certainly would've cried too. I'm appreciating how your heart is tuned to learn from the Lord in life around you : )

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Tell me how you live intentional. I'd love to know!

Popular posts from this blog

The jig is up

Madeline Nichole Suvar

Of loss and hope