Consistency

I went for a run yesterday.

It did not feel that good.


I felt winded, out-of shape. I got a cramp in my side. I only ran for 30 minutes.

It was hard to believe that just 3 weeks ago I ran 13.1 miles at an 8:30 pace.

Because, well, here's the rub.  I've only ran twice in these last two weeks... Prior to 3 weeks ago, I was running 3 days a week, 60 minutes or more each time.  But, I pulled a few muscles during the race and have had to back off on my running to recover.

Amazing how quickly our bodies lose something when we stop being consistent.

It speaks to the reality of this fleeting life. Everything is wasting away. We have to work to maintain so many things in order to keep it from going into disrepair.

Our bodies

Our health

Our skin

Our homes

Our marriages

Our parenting


Our spiritual walk

Our hearts

A huge priority when it comes to consistency: marriage and parenting

Oh, how quickly these things can lose their workability when we turn our backs on it for any length of time.

Though we are creatures of habit, there are some things that can fall more easily out of habit than others. Some of those things listed above are very easy for me to keep up, I don't have to discipline myself.

But others come a little harder. I have to train myself to be consistent.

Where do you fall in that list? What is easy for you? What is not?  Here is some encouragement for today:

1 Corinthians 15:58 (ESV)Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.

 Colossians 3:23-24(ESV) Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.

Every aspect of our life can speak of God, and His work in us.  Even being disciplined with taking care of our bodies, our skin, our health, can speak to His glory. When the focus is put on HIM and not ourselves. 

Maybe if we remind ourselves that every part of our lives should be lived for His glory, that we should do it for Him, it would help us stay consistent with those parts of our life that are so easy to set aside. 


And, while doing that, remember to not look around, or compare ourselves to someone else's journey. No doubt they are doing better in some areas than us, or we are excelling where they are struggling. There is only One direction to compare - and that's up.

Easy said than done, I know. But take heart! He's not done with us yet. #Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The jig is up

Madeline Nichole Suvar

Of loss and hope