True Love

I didn't have a stellar Saturday.

One of those days where there were many things that I felt needed accomplished, and by the end of the day the only thing I accomplished was a poor attitude and feelings of failure as a mom (and those were not on the initial to-do list!)

I woke up this morning feeling pretty unworthy of this holiday, Mother's Day.

I sought God's Word for an answer.  Encouragement, direction, I would even take admonishment.  I needed an answer for the funk I was in.

Love never gives up.
Love cares more for others than for self.
Love doesn’t want what it doesn’t have.
Love doesn’t strut,
Doesn’t have a swelled head,
Doesn’t force itself on others,
Isn’t always “me first,”
Doesn’t fly off the handle,
Doesn’t keep score of the sins of others,
Doesn’t revel when others grovel,
Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth,
Puts up with anything,
Trusts God always,
Always looks for the best,
Never looks back,
But keeps going to the end.
I Corinthians 13 (The Message) 

Convicted much?

It's not hard for me to love my kids, no surprise there.  But sometimes it's hard to love the other 7 kids living under our roof. 

I mean love them like the scripture above describes.  Loving others who do not love you in return.  

Service.  Thankless service. 

I think that is partly what fueled my funk yesterday.  I felt like I was doing, doing, doing for others without any recognition for it.

Good grief.  Do I have problems.

Someone tell me to get over myself....  

Thank you.

But I was humbled today by God's word and His message of what true love looks like.  Thankfully, He is not finished with me yet.

I know I will not be able to accomplish all things on that above list of I Corinthians because, well, I'm not God.  But He's called me to it, and so I will keep striving to show all those children in my life Christlike love. 

And that list from I Corinthians?  A much better list to pursue than any list I had made up Saturday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The jig is up

Madeline Nichole Suvar

Of loss and hope