Giving Gifts that Give Back, round 2

 Christmas is kind of a big deal.

Even for those who do not celebrate Christ's birth, Christmas is kind of a big deal.

Gifts and giving is a huge part of this holiday. And, though I seek to keep Christ at the center, I too enjoy getting into the Christmas spirit of gift giving.

But how much more fun, like a cherry on top, would be giving gifts that give not only to your recipient, but to others as well?

Several years back I was introduced to a few different companies that were using their profits to aid others, whether it was freeing women and children from the sex-trade, giving poverty-stricken families sustainable jobs, or giving education to young girls who did not have access before.  I loved the idea of, when giving a gift, it was like giving it twice.

So, I compiled a short list (there are so many more!) or different companies who are using their profits for the betterment of souls and communities.  The ones listed below are all ones I have either used to give gifts, or have bought items for myself to own. Click on their titles and it will take you to their page where it tells more about each company.

Krochet Kids International 

I found out about this company about 4 years ago.  I've given several items as gifts, and, as you can tell from these pictures, own a few things myself. I love that every product they make is hand-signed by the person who made it. When you receive your package it comes with a profile of the woman who made your KK intl. product, so you can learn her story. You can go to the website and write a personal note of thanks and encouragement to them. This company employs women from around the world, helping them break the cycle of poverty.

  The head band and these comfy cotton pants were both handmade by women employed by KK intnl.. I've never owned a pair of yoga pants, but I may never have to because of this pair here.

Moriya Ethiopian Accessories
These bags and scarves are made by women in Ethiopia. This operates under a very similar vein of the above company, the artisans even hand sign their craft. I have given several of thier bags as gifts and own a couple bags as well that get daily use.


fashionABLE
fashionABLE is a lifestyle brand focused on ending generational poverty by working with women who have often overcome extraordinary circumstances. They manufacture directly in the communities they wish to impact, both locally and globally, creating jobs and ending the cycle of charity dependency. I don't own any of these scarves myself, as all the ones I've bought I've gifted. There are more than just scarves, though. Bags, clothes, accessories, something for just about anyone.

Bloom & Give
This company creates textiles out of India. Each purchase helps to fund schooling for Indian girls, the part of society that is often seen as not needing an education at all. This also helps break the cycle of poverty, giving these young women a chance to grow and learn.

I personally love their kitchen linens, but they have much more beyond that as well.



Obviously this is not an exhausted list, there are so many companies out there that are looking to give back and give beyond themselves. I believe that if we are more intentional on where we save our money and where we spend it, we can impact lives worldwide. This is just a small piece of the puzzle. But something very doable for all of us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The jig is up

Madeline Nichole Suvar

Of loss and hope