Let's talk about worth

 


Heart.

Can we talk about worth for a moment? Specifically, our own worth?

 

Webster’s defines worth as “the level at which someone or something deserves to be valued or rated.”

 

Now, if you are a Christ follower, we know that our worth is found in Christ alone. We know that we are sinners in need of a Savior. And that a price had to be paid for our salvation. We know that because of the shed blood of Christ we have been redeemed and can now be seen as worthy of eternal life in heaven because of what Jesus did for us. 

 

We know all this. We know our worth is not in our own actions and deeds.

 

But it doesn’t stop us from falling into the trap of thinking that it does.

 

A couple months back, I went to donate blood. I have Type 0 Negative blood. The universal donor. And I had been getting emails for weeks (well, really months) telling me that I needed to donate. Because any blood type can have my donation, my blood was so “desperately needed.” Plus, I had recovered from COVID a couple months prior so I may even have had antibodies to share as well. 

 

I had been feeling pretty low the last few weeks due to varying things. I felt like I wasn’t really doing great at any of the roles in my life. But this! Oh, I could give my blood! I had something people wanted, people needed - I had something of worth. To be honest, I was feeling pretty good walking into the donor site that morning. I was feeling, well, worthy.

 

I filled out the forms, did the finger prick, waited my turn, then laid back and waited for the blood to flow. 

 

Only, it didn’t. The vein that the nurse picked decided to not cooperate. We only got through half a donation before she had to call it quits. As she cleaned up the station, I walked away, dejected.

 

I cried the whole way home. 







And as I did, I realized that, once again, I was looking for my worth somewhere other than in Jesus. I was even going as far as looking at my blood type - something I had nothing to do with - as something that would make me worthy in this life. I mean, how ridiculous can you get? I guess that ridiculous...

 

And, once again, God helped me see that I cannot look to earthly things to find my worth. Only Jesus. I was reminded of the lyrics to a Keith and Kristyn Getty song and had to play them as I poured my heart out to my Father, asking Him to, once again, be my Worth.

 

My worth is not in what I own

 

Not in the strength of flesh and bone

But in the costly wounds of love

At the cross

 

My worth is not in skill or name

In win or lose, in pride or shame

But in the blood of Christ that flowed

At the cross

 

I will not boast in wealth or might

Or human wisdom’s fleeting light

But I will boast in knowing Christ

At the cross

 

Two wonders here that I confess

My worth and my unworthiness

My value fixed - my ransom paid

At the cross

 

If you’re feeling the weight of worthlessness right now, let me offer this hope. Because, though, we are all worthless humans, because of Jesus, because of the cross, You. Are. Not.

 

Find your worth in Him. And even in those moments when the deceiver wants to trick you into thinking you are worthless, you can come back at him with this Truth, that in Jesus, you are worthy.

 


 

Get weekly inspiration and hope for living an 

Intentional Life delivered right to your inbox! 

Comments

  1. I loved this! Thanks for this vulnerability. It's something I can relate to.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Tell me how you live intentional. I'd love to know!

Popular posts from this blog

The jig is up

Madeline Nichole Suvar

Of loss and hope