Cling to the good

Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 
Romans 12:9b


It's a little crazy in this place these days.


Having our house finally handed back to us, we have been making daily runs of boxes over to our new home.

Pack a box.  Take box to new house. Unload box.  Take box back to Cypress House.

Repeat.


I guess it's one way to move your belongings.

At the same time we are trying to tie up about a hundred loose ends, keep being houseparents, keep being parents, maybe even a decent spouse.  Moving day is looming ever closer and it seems there are way more things to do than time to do them in.

Like I said, it's a little crazy around here.

In the midst of this, in the back of my mind, I have the thought floating that I have yet to type anything this month for my Romans 12 series.  I've read the verse over and over but just wasn't sure how to expound anymore upon it.  

It's pretty straight forward:  hate evil, love good.  I saw it as" turn from sin, look to God."

But, as with any verse in the Bible, I knew there was more.

Today I was sitting on my bed, taking a quite minute (literally it was just a minute..sigh) and the verse came back to me.

Hate what is evil.  What is evil?  Sin.  What is sin?  Impatience.  Selfishness.  Pride. Anxiety.

Cling to what is good.  What is good?  Patience.  Selflessness.  Humility.  Trust.

In my haste to make sure I get everything done when it needs done, how often do I let go of good, and turn to evil?

Ugh.  I think we all know the answer to that.

But we are called to hate evil.  Not dislike it.  Not ignore it.  Hate it.

And instead cling to that which is good.  Not hold it lightly in our hand, keep it in our back pocket, think of it every once in awhile.  But cling to it.  

To cling means to hold on to, clutch, grip, grasp, attach oneself to, hang on to.  You cling to something that you don't want to let go.

May we seek our Savior, the True Good, and cling to Him.  I believe that the more we cling to Him, the more we will hate evil as God hates evil.  And we will all the more want to grasp that which is good.

 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. Philippians 4:8

Because although things may be crazy around here, there is so much Good that can be grasped.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The jig is up

Madeline Nichole Suvar

Of loss and hope