James has a good point...

I actually got something out of a church sermon! Now, that may sound bad, but sitting with Owen every Sunday, I would say it's an accomplishment. Yesterday we read from James and the part that stood out to me was Chapter 4 verses 13-15:
Listen up, you that say, Today or tomorrow we will go into such a city, and continue there a year, and buy and sell, and get gain:Whereas you don't know not what tomorrow will bring. For what is your life? It is even a vapor, that appears for a little time, and then vanishes away. Instead you should say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that. (paraphrase)
The minister went on to day that we need to make sure we leave room for God's sovereignty. For me, I am a planner and organizer. And where this struck a cord is with our finances. Paul and I keep a budget and we have plans as far as when we will make a big purchase or pay something off, or save up so much. But I need to step back and stop relying on ourselves to make everything work out and trust God and his sovereignty with those things in my life. Not to have everything so in control and in a row that I leave God out of it. I say "God's will be done" but do I really mean it. Is there anything that you have so planned out that you have pushed God to the side of the matter, instead of keeping Him at the center?

Comments

  1. And if you're looking for even more proof that James was right, the news is full of it these days:-)

    I don't know how stringent you are with your budget, but being a good steward of what God gave you isn't a bad thing either. It's always are to keep things balanced. Although, if you do like you said and keep God in the center, I guess you won't tip too far either way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Tell me how you live intentional. I'd love to know!

Popular posts from this blog

The jig is up

Madeline Nichole Suvar

Of loss and hope