Intentional Thoughts

 


Thoughts.

This past week I received some devastating news about a friend. Though I am on the fringe of it, and not directly affected, it still rocked me back on my heels. As I processed it in my brain over the next 24 hours I found myself asking these questions of God: “Why do you have to take someone so full of life? Why do you have to take someone who is doing good things for you? This person has a spouse and kids - why are you allowing this to happen?”

 

I know I am not the first person to ask these questions when life suddenly doesn't make sense. And I know I am not the first person to question God's plan. This isn't the first time and this isn't the last. God is not intimidated by our questions; He knows our gaze is finite. But just as it is OK to ask God questions, it is not OK to go to our own human thoughts for the answers. If we're seeking answers of God, then from God is where we need to get the answers.

 

For myself, during this time of questioning and grief, I found space to be alone, turned on worship music, poured out my heart through tears and prayer, then opened His Word.

 

Whoever trusts in his own mind is a fool, 

but he who walks in wisdom will be delivered.

Proverbs 28:26

 

For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
    neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.

 For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
    so are my ways higher than your ways
    and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Isaiah 58:8+9

 

This God—his way is perfect; the word of the Lord proves true; he is a shield for all those who take refuge in him.

Psalm 18:30
 

Today, be intentional with looking at your pervasive thoughts. The ones that keep popping up through out the day. The ones that seem to direct your actions and emotions. In what ways are you allowing those thoughts to rule over the Truth of God's Word? In what areas of your life do you need to take your thoughts captive and realign them with truth? Ask God to give you insight into where this needs work in your life. Ask Him to shine light into those dark corners and for grace to overcome.









layout component 1
layout component 2 
 
 

Get weekly inspiration and hope for living an 

Intentional Life delivered right to your inbox! 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The jig is up

Madeline Nichole Suvar

Of loss and hope