Paring down the Unecessary


I've had this running through my head for a bit and I decided recently that I was just going to do it.

I guess I'm a bit hesitant as it will involve me being committed to it for a year. I didn't want it to go the way of New Year resolutions, losing steam halfway through January.

So, I did what any person in this modern age does to stay accountable: I put it on social media.

I don't think that I have alot to offer when it comes to talent or exemplary attributes (I had to marry someone who had that instead!) But, I have been told by many that I have a knack for organization.

And, well, I kinda like doing it. Cleaning, organizing, purging, putting things where they belong. Ask my mom: it started at a very early age.


But, just like a Contractor whose own home is in need of some overdue remodeling, my own home is getting a bit, umm, disheveled.

We've lived in this house for 2.5 years, and although I regularly purge and clean, things still tend to get away from me. In our 14.5 years of marriage we have moved 7 times and all that moving helped keep things pared down. But, unless God opens doors for us to be missionaries in the near future, we will most likely be sitting in our current location for awhile. Which means: accumulation.

So, this year, join me as I work to purge the unnecessary, hold on to what it meaningful and useful, and focus on what really matters in this life.

It's less about feeling bad about what we have and letting it control us, and more about organizing what we love and need and eliminating what we don't.

Weekly, I'll post a section of the house that I am working on, show before and afters, and hopefully spur on others to join me along the way.

I'd love for you to be one of them. 

Comments

  1. This will be fun to see! I used to live to purge, but after 2 years of sort of surviving, it is so backed up that I am totally overwhelmed. Maybe I will get inspired by you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited about this too! I think I used to be good at organizing but lately a certain 2 month old has lots of my attention ; ) so I better not commit for the year. I think I'm going to commit to sorting out three areas in the next couple months-laundry, cleaning supplies and toiletries. Keep the inspiration coming!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Tell me how you live intentional. I'd love to know!

Popular posts from this blog

The jig is up

Madeline Nichole Suvar

Of loss and hope