Romans 12:3


Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you.

I don't think I would be the first Christian to think that in order to be a humble, one must think little, or nothing, of themselves.

With the world harping on us all about self esteem and finding "me time"  I suppose it makes sense to go the "I'm the least among everyone" route since it's counter-intuitive to the world's culture.

But what if this is a call to think practically about ourselves?  To not look at ourselves through rose-colored glasses?

Can we acknowledge what we are good at, and still be humble about it?

I think it can sometimes be hard to do.  To be able to voice outloud what our strengths are.  Seems arrogant.

But perhaps we need to find the balance.  Not think so much of ourselves that we can't see our flaws.  But also not think so little of ourselves that we think we are of no worth to anyone.

Maybe you don't struggle with this.  Maybe  you have already found that balance.

I haven't.

So often I see other people with talent and strengths that I wish I possessed.  I often feel inadequate.  I don't really feel like I bring much to the table.

But I see in this verse where we are told to think reasonable about how we were made.  Each of us unique.  You have a strength, and I have a strength, but they aren't necessarily the same thing.

Be able to acknowledge the gifts that God has possessed you with.  And how you can bless His Kingdom with that.

And also be willing to admit where someone else has a strength....and you have a weakness.

Our fellow Christ-followers, joined in the same cause, each with "the faith God has distributed to each of us."

I need you.  You need me.  Together we are joined together in this family of God.  Let's celebrate our differences, because in those we each find where we excel.


And where someone else can help us out, too.

Missed the previous Romans 12 posts? Check them out here.

Comments

  1. Mary's mom has a note on her kitchen cupboard that says...Humility is not thinking less of yourself but thinking of yourself less.

    Greg Beutel

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Tell me how you live intentional. I'd love to know!

Popular posts from this blog

The jig is up

Madeline Nichole Suvar

Of loss and hope