Advent


ad·vent  (dvnt)n.
1. The coming or arrival, especially of something extremely important
       
a. The liturgical period preceding Christmas, beginning in Western churches on the fourth Sunday before Christmas and in Eastern churches in mid-November, and observed by many Christians as a season of prayer, fasting, and penitence.
b. Christianity The coming of Jesus at the Incarnation.
c. Christianity The Second Coming.
Advent.  I knew what it meant, just wanted to see how the dictionary defined it.
As I would define it:  the anticipation of Jesus' arrival -  the arrival of the celebration of His birth, the arrival of His Grace as we seek Him in repentance, and the 'someday-arrival' of His Second Coming.

Guess there is a whole lot of anticipation wrapped up in that definition.

I mentioned at one point how Christmas feels different these last few years.  I thought it had to do with getting older, but now I am sure it has to do with living here at Gateway.  I try to conjure up the joy of the season.  But often the wet blanket of 

broken families

entitlement

materialism
seems to dampen my spirits.  All of what Christmas shouldn't be, it's staring me in the face.  
 
It should be about families gathering together, finding joy in the togetherness.  Not the "what did you get me" but more the "it's so good to see you."

I don't want the wet blanket again.  But I'm going to have to fight against it.  So I am focusing on the Advent.  The arrival of something extremely important.
They can have their materialism and want, want, want.  I want to show them there is so much more to Christmas than getting all those things you wanted but didn't need.

Like Jesus.  He came.  He lived.  He died.  All for you.  All for me.

He didn't have to. We don't deserve it.  It was, and is, a gift.

25 days. And I wait in anticipation...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The jig is up

Madeline Nichole Suvar

Of loss and hope