Want to play frisbee golf?

 

Relationships.

"Mom, can we go frisbee golfing?"

 

In my head, my first thought is, "No, I'd rather not go out in 95 degree heat and toss a frisbee at targets for 2 hours." I'd gladly read a book in the shade, go for a hike, take a nap, or go for a cup of coffee. But frisbee golf?

 

But, when your 14 year old asks to do something WITH you, it's best to jump on that train because you don't know when it will pass by again.
 

So, we went frisbee golfing. And though it did end up being fun, the most joy was seeing my son doing something he enjoys and being a part of it. It's life-giving to the relationship.

 

I see this play out big time in other areas as well when it comes to our kids. I pretty much take life seriously and don't slow down to have fun a whole lot. But setting aside my own interests, and taking up one of my child's instead, always proves fruitful.

 

When I'm tempted to groan and maybe even sigh at the one hundredth conversation about computer coding or the fifteenth conversation in a day regarding the latest novel they're reading, I remind myself of Philippians 2:4.

 

Look not only to your own interest, but to the interests of others.


This isn't an invitation to be a nosy neighbor or a busy body, but instead to maybe set aside your own wants and pursuits and share in the interest of another instead. As I said above, it's life-giving to the relationship. And I'm guessing you can see it too when you pursue the time and interests of your spouse, child, roommate, etc. 

 

This week, how can we be intentional about pursuing the interest of others? Where can we push pause on something of our own and take time to feed into another's instead? Even if it's taking 10 minutes to put down our phone, stop folding laundry, or turn from our computer screen to have a conversation and ask relevant and meaningful questions to the other on a topic that they care about. It's doesn't have to be a whole afternoon of frisbee golf. It can be short snippets of time, that on the whole, add up to a whole lot of strength building in a relationship.

 


 

Get weekly inspiration and hope for living an 

Intentional Life delivered right to your inbox! 

 

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing this encouragement, friend! It's a good reminder to take time to show genuine interest and invest in our relationships!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just what I needed to read this morning. Thank you for the reminder to pause and take an interest in the passions in my children's lives. As a widow and mama to two teen boys, busyness often gets in the way of blossoming my relationships with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I my goodness!! I lived this very thing this past weekend! The LAST place I wanted to spend my weekend at was the beach. However, my husband and daughter absolutely love the ocean and the water. I never cared for either. With the Lord's prompting and Holy Spirit conviction to adjust my attitude, I went along.
    I have to say, it was one of the best times we had as a family. I actually decided to give my husband's new bodyboard a try, and had a blast! I then spent more time with him and my daughter playing catch and entertained them all being knocked over by the larger than usual ocean waves coming in.
    I give the Lord credit for filling me with genuine joy and playfulness, because it certainly didn't come from me! lol!!
    My husband remarked three different times since then that my playfulness in the water was the highlight of his trip.
    The Lord used that experience to bring my husband and I closer to eachother, and I feel closer to the Lord for helping me not be so stingy with what I would rather do, and think of others and what is enjoyable for them.
    There is indeed, a tremendous blessing when we are obedient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this! Thank you for sharing your story with me. I'm one who isn't very 'playful' herself so I can relate to what you are saying! :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this- so convicting. We are a lot alike 😏

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Tell me how you live intentional. I'd love to know!

Popular posts from this blog

The jig is up

Madeline Nichole Suvar

Of loss and hope