Hope for the hopeless

A phone call from the detention center

A letter from a treatment facility

A hard face on the 11 o'clock news

This week was full of reminders of the past.

Unfortunately they all brought the news that some kids aren't doing all that well.

Poor choices.  Wrong environment.  Rotten pasts.

The thing is, all three of these kids did well while here.  The GOT it.  They showed us that they knew the right choice, could even MAKE the right choice.

But somewhere between there and now, a wrong choice (or choices) was made.  And the consequences followed.

I don't know how to change it.  The world just needs Jesus.

It gets heart-heavy when I take it on myself and think that it is my job to make sure these kids succeed once they leave our home.


I pray those seeds that were planted, though they may lay dormant for a time, will eventually grow into something worth a heaven-harvest.

I've wrote before of this heartache I feel heartache over these kids who leave here and fall victim to the lies that this world has for them.  But I also have to remind myself that I am just like them.  Although my choices don't land me in a detention center or get my face on the evening news, my sins are just as black and dark.

I am no better.

In God's eyes, we are all sinners in need of redemption.

A need to be washed by the Blood and covered in His righteousness.

I'm going to keep beating that drum and living for that hope because we are all down here in this miry world together.

We need rescued.  Whether it's from a jail cell with real concrete walls or a cell we've built with our own pride, we all need pulled from that pit.

And as long as we have life, there is hope.

And wherever we are at, He can still find us:

Where can I go from your Spirit? Or where can I flee from your presence? If I ascend into heaven, you are there; if I make my bed in hell, behold, you are there; if I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me. If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me," even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you  Psalm 139:7-12


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The jig is up

Madeline Nichole Suvar

Of loss and hope