To Hell and back

Every Easter season something different stands out to me more than other years.  Kinda like a theme.

This year I keep going back to the fact that Christ experienced Hell.  I think it started when we were discussing it at dinner devotions one night and one of the residents was surprised to hear that Jesus went to Hell.


As I sat there and listened to Paul explain the scripture that supports it, I was reminded of this, yet another facet of the huge sacrifice Christ did for us.

When I think of Jesus' sacrifice I think about him suffering and being crucified.  That in itself is horrible enough.

But when I think that Jesus went to Hell because He took on our sins and became forsaken by God.

That just deepens my gratitude for what He has done.  This piddly little post just doesn't do it justice because

we

just

don't

deserve

it.

All we deserve is Hell because we are all sinners and none of us is righteous. 
All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God Romans 3:23 

The wages of sin is death (Hell) Romans 6:23

To think that Jesus went through all that so that I never would.

At the beginning of the crucifixion ordeal, Jesus addresses God as 'Father'
Father forgive them for they know not what they do

But just a few hours later the separation of that intimate relationship can be seen when Jesus cries,
My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?

Jesus experienced the wretchedness of hopelessness.  Of feeling God turning His back on His only Son, a part of the Holy Trinity, so that I never would.

I'm not sure who said it first, because I have heard it and read it in a few different places but:

For believers, this world is the closest thing to hell that we will ever experience.

Wow, that thought alone can stop me for a moment and make me think.  You do not have to experience Hell because Jesus did it for you.

Thank you, Jesus, for your indescribable sacrifice.  You literally went to Hell and back for me.  I don't deserve it, but I am so very grateful that you did.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The jig is up

Madeline Nichole Suvar

Of loss and hope