well that explains it

Who here has taken a personality test?

Ok, y'all can put your hands down.

My guess is that a large number of you have taken some kind of personality test at some point in your lives.  Whether its those all revealing ones from Seventeen magazine (What kind of girlfriend are you?) or something a bit deeper like finding out whether you are a beaver or a lion or a German shepherd or...something else.

I've kinda always been fascinated by those tests, always trying to find something that better explains me to myself.  I usually could agree with the tests I took...sort of. 

Last fall I came across a different test, one I had not ever taken - the Myers-Briggs.  I had heard of it in college but thought it was something that a psychologist administered, or someone with some high level of education.  However, you can take it online at 16personalities.com.

I turned out to be a INFJ.

Introverted

Intuitive

Feeling

Judging (yikes!)





It went on to explain more about this personality:

As with many other Judicial personality types, the INFJ enjoys structure and order. Though our intuition can cause our structure to fluctuate, we still thrive best when we can plan out the details of our situations and lives. Sometimes, however, spontaneity can occur outside of our control. This deeply shakes us and we often respond to this loss of control with anger and frustration.

Because we are introverts, INFJs are completely content being with just one person, whether a partner, friend or family member. When we make friends, it is usually for the long haul and it takes a lot to destroy a relationship.

INFJs are never happy with ourselves. No matter how much an INFJ has improved, there is always room to be better. Often times, we can struggle with relishing in our accomplishments since we continue to focus on where we have fallen short and how we could have done better. It can sometimes frustrate an INFJ to see others complacent with their current selves.

While many INFJs can practice and put on a good show, most of us struggle with social norms and routines, especially if we see little use for them. Since, as mentioned before, we find it difficult to put our thoughts into words, we can feel uncomfortable being in situations that cause us to interact in a spontaneous manner, such as meeting someone new.

INFJs spend most of our time thinking through deep and complex matters, therefore shallow and menial conversations of everyday life can confuse and frustrate us. Talks of the weather and local sports are exhausting for us. We would much rather ask for life stories, sincere problems of which we can offer solutions and therapy session-like conversations. When we ask "how are you," we mean it on the deepest and sincerest possible level.

INFJs have an amazing ability to think abstractly. In our minds, it is easy to see gray areas and blurred lines. While we tend to have strong principles and passions, an INFJ can usually see another persons point-of-view on any situation. Whenever there is a difference of opinion, an INFJ is very driven to ask questions and seek information about the opposing side in order to understand the different perspective. This part of our personality leads to deep compassion and always giving others the benefit of the doubt.

INFJs are known for being the most intuitive personality type. We "just know" a lot of information that we can never fully explain. Many sensing types and a few intuitive types cannot fully grasp our level of intuition and easily discredit our knowledge. Without any explanation as to why, we can feel the feelings of everyone around us as deeply as though they were our own.

The most misunderstood part of an INFJ is how we feel everything those around us feel. We do not sympathize. We do not empathize. We literally feel exactly what you feel. Even if you are trying to hide it or don't express your feelings, somehow we still know."

Along with our open-mindedness and compassion, our ability to intuitively feel and sense things around us is a large part of why we can help others so easily. We just know what is best for those around us even if we cannot articulate why.

And one more that really hit me:
INFJ is the rarest Myers-Briggs personality type accounting for less than 1% of the population. Because of this, we can feel misunderstood by many.

Oh, so that makes more sense now....I've always felt like the oddball.  Throughout all my school years I always felt like the odd girl out.  In elementary and middle school, I often felt aloneIn high school, I attributed it to my commitment to Christ (although I think that had something to do with it!) but now I see that maybe it had to do with my personality and how I've been put together.  Only 1% of the population is INFJ?  Alright, anyone else out there this type?  Let's chat.

After discovering my personality type, it spurred two different types of action within me - 

acceptance

and commitment to change.  

This helped explain a few things about me; like the fact that I love routine and perfection and everything in it's place.  I have always felt socially awkward, and I probably always will.

People's emotions directly affect how I feel.  That one's a tough one for me.  I am surrounded by hormonal teenagers on a daily basis and I often take on the emotions that are flying around.  By better understanding this about myself, I can be more aware of when it is happening and work to control my emotions instead of letting then control me.

I encourage others to try this test out, see what it gives you.  If there is one thing we can realize from this, it is that God has created each of uniquely, but yet we are all created to show his Glory.  

Introvert or Extroverted

Feeling or Thinking

Perceptive or Judging 

Sensing or Intuitive

We were all made to praise Him and to have our lives reflect Him.

Can't say I am always succeeding in that one, but it is what I strive for.

How about you?  Who are you?  I'd love to hear! 

pictures courtesy of Owen Suvar 2012 

Comments

  1. Hey Nichole I just read this tonight:) I took this test about a year ago and also came out INFJ. I guess we both ended up in similar fields of work... COTA and house parent. We have the same name too lol;) I'll have to take it again sometime and see if I still end up infj.So interesting!

    -Nicole W

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Tell me how you live intentional. I'd love to know!

Popular posts from this blog

The jig is up

Madeline Nichole Suvar

Of loss and hope