What I like about a sunrise...

I like New Year's day.

And Mondays.

And mornings.

They all have one thing in common for me.

Clean slate.  The start of a new year.  The start of a new week.  The start of a new day.

I used to do new year resolutions, but, you see, I am not very disciplined (something I have *ahem* resolved to change...) and trying to do something different in a new year, well, doesn't last very long.  I would try really hard for oh, say the first week or so, and then the wheels would fall of the wagon.  Well, the next year wouldn't come around for another 340 days so I would shelve those resolutions for another year. 

But weeks, and days, come around a bit more often.  So I have found myself making resolutions for myself for a week, or day, at a time.

This week I am going to get my closet organized.

This week I will get that card written and mailed.

Today I will try a new recipe.

Today I will spend more quality time with my kids.

Today I will not get impatient with my kids over the simplest little things.

Oy.  You get the point.

It's so nice that if a week has gone badly, I can hope for the following to go better.  Or, if today was pretty rough, for whatever reasons those may be, but tomorrow...well tomorrow holds promise.

I love to fall back on a promise that God gives us in Lamentations: Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.

There is that clean slate again.  His compassions (another version says 'mercies') are NEW EVERY MORNING.  I have some of those days where I know I have failed God over and over again.  I can go to bed with a heavy heart of failure, turn it over to Him, and awake with the promise that His compassion is there to meet me again with the sunrise.


So, this year I did not make any year-long resolutions, just one's that will be renewed with the day.

Today I will rejoice in the day that the Lord has made.

Today I will seek to enjoy my children and be the mother that they need me to me, and what God wants me to be.

Today I will spend quiet time with God, because without it, everything else falls apart.

Today I will hug my husband and tell him how much I appreciate him.


Hmmm...I think that is a good start for today.

Comments

Post a Comment

Tell me how you live intentional. I'd love to know!

Popular posts from this blog

The jig is up

Madeline Nichole Suvar

Of loss and hope