Intentional Relationships

 



Relationships.

As far back as I can remember, my Grandpa Herb would call me on my birthday.

I loved getting that phone call where he would sing just for me. As soon as I said ‘hello’ he'd launch into the melody. Then he'd ask about my day, talk about the weather, and wish me a happy birthday. My family lived hours away from my grandparents and we only got to see them a few times a year. So, hearing his voice, and knowing he was calling just to talk to me - it was a sweet moment I looked forward to. He and my grandma had over 20 grandchildren and I know every single one of them got the same kind of call on their birthday.

The first birthday I had after he passed, I grieved the loss of that occasion.

But, thankfully, his daughter (my mom!) has continued this tradition with her own grandkids. My kids love it when Grandma Karen calls and sings them happy birthday. I'm thankful that she has continued the tradition with the next generation and that my kids get to have this same kind of act of love shown to them every year.

 

Just a reminder that it could be the little things you do that will make the biggest impact. It was less than 5 minutes of my grandpa’s day, but this gesture meant the world to me.

What small things in your day to day life are making a different in the relationships around you? Or, what can you start doing that can feed those relationships now?

Maybe it's a post-it note in a lunchbox to a spouse.

A daily text to your teen just to say hi.

Looking for the shy-wallflowers and making sure those on the fringe feel included.

A nightly snuggle and book reading with your child - even when they're past the age of sitting on your lap.

 Dropping off a coffee to a friend whose been on quarantine.

We can tend to shove aside the little things, feeling like the actions that are worth doing are the big things. Sure, we may remember the grand gestures, but the small, constant acts of love will be what will speak to the heart and take root.

Your small acts that may even feel unnoticed or underappreciated may be exactly what that person needs. Keep intentionally showing up in little ways. The effort is worth more than you may ever know.

Want to get this weekly encouragement delivered right to your inbox? Start HERE.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The jig is up

Madeline Nichole Suvar

Of loss and hope