What it's looking like around here


You know how the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence?

Yeah, I am seeing now that I had that outlook a year ago.  I read this post from last December and I had to laugh at myself.  I still feel that way.

Why does Christmas feel so different to me now than it did just 5 years ago?

I still feel the blanket of meloncholy.  The pull to keep things simple.

I thought for sure I would bust out all-the-Christmas-things the first Christmas after houseparenting.  So much more time!  So much less stress!

Can you spot the error?  Yeah, I left it like that from last year...



And then I remembered that I can't bake a cookie to save my life (family can attest!)

And this introvert doesn't do crowds.


And I prefer simple decorating to lots and lots of things going on everywhere.

So Christmas time here has leaned toward the simple and slow. 

We've caroled to the elderly at a local nursing home.

We've assembled a boxed gingerbread house.

We've decorated a tree and play all-Christmas-music-all-the-time on Pandora.


But why does a part of me feel like I'm not doing the Christmas thing?  That I am missing out on something?  Perhaps it's the Martha vs. Mary battle?

Nowhere does it say I must do all the Christmasy things that the pretty magazine pictures and the bright flashy billboards tell me to do.

But I have read somewhere about the patient waiting for the arrival of something BIG.

The people walking in darkness
    have seen a great light;
on those living in the land of deep darkness
    a light has dawned.
You have enlarged the nation
    and increased their joy;

 For to us a child is born,
    to us a son is given,
    and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
    Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
    Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
7 Of the greatness of his government and peace
    there will be no end.

Isaiah 9:2,3,6,7

 Staging done by resident 4-year-old.  Seems that Joseph and a Wiseman are having a conference over in the corner...

So, I will choose to speak these words over the guilt that tries to pull me down.  Telling me I'm not doing enough to "celebrate" this season.  I will choose to sit and listen to the stillness, where His voice is heard best.

Who wants to join me?





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Hard

A note to Owen, on his 7th birthday

Keeping up....or choosing not to.