What it's looking like around here


You know how the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence?

Yeah, I am seeing now that I had that outlook a year ago.  I read this post from last December and I had to laugh at myself.  I still feel that way.

Why does Christmas feel so different to me now than it did just 5 years ago?

I still feel the blanket of meloncholy.  The pull to keep things simple.

I thought for sure I would bust out all-the-Christmas-things the first Christmas after houseparenting.  So much more time!  So much less stress!

Can you spot the error?  Yeah, I left it like that from last year...



And then I remembered that I can't bake a cookie to save my life (family can attest!)

And this introvert doesn't do crowds.


And I prefer simple decorating to lots and lots of things going on everywhere.

So Christmas time here has leaned toward the simple and slow. 

We've caroled to the elderly at a local nursing home.

We've assembled a boxed gingerbread house.

We've decorated a tree and play all-Christmas-music-all-the-time on Pandora.


But why does a part of me feel like I'm not doing the Christmas thing?  That I am missing out on something?  Perhaps it's the Martha vs. Mary battle?

Nowhere does it say I must do all the Christmasy things that the pretty magazine pictures and the bright flashy billboards tell me to do.

But I have read somewhere about the patient waiting for the arrival of something BIG.

The people walking in darkness
    have seen a great light;
on those living in the land of deep darkness
    a light has dawned.
You have enlarged the nation
    and increased their joy;

 For to us a child is born,
    to us a son is given,
    and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
    Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
    Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Of the greatness of his government and peace
    there will be no end.

Isaiah 9:2,3,6,7

 Staging done by resident 4-year-old.  Seems that Joseph and a Wiseman are having a conference over in the corner...

So, I will choose to speak these words over the guilt that tries to pull me down.  Telling me I'm not doing enough to "celebrate" this season.  I will choose to sit and listen to the stillness, where His voice is heard best.

Who wants to join me?





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The jig is up

Madeline Nichole Suvar

Of loss and hope