Romans 12:3-8

Missed the former posts on this series?  Go here.
For as in one body we have many members, and the members do not all have the same function, so we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, in proportion to our faith;  if service, in our serving; the one who teaches, in his teaching; the one who exhorts, in his exhortation; the one who contributes, in generosity; the one who leads,with zeal; the one who does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness. Romans 12:3-8

I've said before how I love lists.  So, of course, this resonates with me.

For so long I feel like I have floundered trying to figure out exactly what my talent is.  What do I have to contribute to the body of Christ?

I know God doesn't create any of us to just fill up space.  We are all needed in some capacity, somewhere.

Don't let Satan tell you that you aren't needed in your community.  In your local body of believers.  I've believed that lie for too long.

Prophet.

Server.

Teacher.

Encourager.

Giver.

Leader.

Mercy-giver.

I don't think this is an exhaustive list, there are many more God given gifts out there.

But imagine if all of these roles were filled by us?  How much more could we be glorifying and serving our Father?

How much more could we be accomplishing in His name? 

I think for several years I was trying to fit myself into a mold that I wasn't made to fit.  I was wanting one of the more "glamorous" gifts, but never feeling like it was quite right.

Time and experience has shown that I fit best in a servant role, and often times the mercy-giver.

Sometimes things call for me to be a Leader or Teacher or Encourager.  We may all have to fill a different role for a time.  But there are characteristics each of us were designed with, and we can bring God much praise when we fill that role we were called to do.

I have mentioned before the personality test that I took about a year ago.  Although it didn't tell me my God-given talents, it did help me understand myself better and help solidify the thought of what types of gifts God had entrusted to me.

I encourage you to go try it out for yourself.  See if you can pick out your gifts amid the explanation.  I would love to hear what you have found out about yourself.

Because, the truth is, God could do all of this work on His own.   He doesn't need any of us.

But He has chosen His church to carry His Name, His Truth to the world.  Shouldn't we all know how we can best do that?


Comments

  1. Absolutely love and affirm this post! I also appreciate the link for the personality test. It was very enlightening even though it took some courage and vulnerability.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely love and affirm this post! I also appreciate the link for the personality test. It was very enlightening even though it took some courage and vulnerability.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Tell me how you live intentional. I'd love to know!

Popular posts from this blog

The jig is up

Madeline Nichole Suvar

Of loss and hope