Finding the Moderation

Sometimes I am a creature of community.

Sometimes I am a creature of solitude.

Which one is right?

Is either one wrong?

I have taken those personality tests and some have labeled me an introvert, some an extrovert.

I'm not really sure which one I am.

I had heard at a conference I went to once that a true extrovert gets their energy and rejuvenation from being around people, and the introvert gains theirs from being alone.  I like being around people.  I like feeling like I am a part of something.  I don't even have to engage in a conversation, I just like to be surrounded by people.

But there are times that my mind is just calling for some solitude.  I often feel guilty about this.  Like I am supposed to want to be around people all the time.  But God calls His children to take some alone time.

We've all talked about it.  Done it.

Devotions.  Meditation on His Word.  Time in prayer.

Whatever you may call it.  I think that there is a need to go a bit beyond that 15 minutes of devo time that we give.  When I am alone, or have a bit of time without a whole lot of distractions, how do I spend that time?

In a world where we are constantly plugged in.  How much of our time is really spent alone?  How much of our alone time is actually spent on Facebook, blogs, chat rooms, texting, emailing? 

We are connected, and yet disconnected at the same time.

I think our alone time needs to be spent in a bit more quiet.

Because that is when we can truly hear God's voice.

I need to find the moderation between surrounding myself with community and surrounding myself with silence.

Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart 
and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. 
After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. 
After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. 
And after the fire came a gentle whisper.  
I Kings 19:11+12

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The jig is up

Madeline Nichole Suvar

Of loss and hope