When you have a minute...

 


It was one of those moments.
 
Each kid was occupied with a book, homework, computer game, something. All I know is that the house was quiet. I had dinner as prepped as it could be as I waited for the water to boil.
 
I had, essentially, a moment of quiet. An empty slot of time to do nothing but wait.
 
Your first thought may be, “Good for her. I never have those.” But, I’m guessing, if you thought about it, you just might.
 
Standing in a checkout line.
 
Arriving to a coffee shop before a friend.
 
Sitting in the van waiting on school to let out.
 
Standing at the counter waiting on the coffee to brew.
 
Throughout our day there are little moments of time where we are waiting but we may find it hard to identify them as such because we are so used to filling them up. Those scenarios I listed, how many of them would be quickly followed by:
I picked up my phone
or
I tuned into a podcast
or
I turned on the radio
 
How often do we, instead, just wait.
 
We have turned into a people of consumption. So much so, that we have a hard time not filling our entire day with it. The downside is that we have left no room for waiting, quiet contemplation, and thought.
 
But, God speaks in whispers, not in shouts. And if we are constantly filling our lives with noise, consumption, and drivel, we leave little room for the quiet, the fullness, the satisfaction - of Him.

…If we are constantly filling our lives with noise, consumption, and drivel, we leave little room for the quiet, the fullness, the satisfaction - of Him.

This week, I challenge you. Be conscious of your consumption. Be aware of when you pick up your phone simply because you have nothing else to do. When you find yourself doing that, turn your phone to Do Not Disturb and set it back down. If you’re in a place where you can find a quiet corner, do so. Give yourself 5 minutes (maybe even 10!) and do nothing. Don’t read, don’t listen to music, don’t turn on a podcast. Simply sit in silence, talk with God, and listen for His quiet stirring.
 
I’m not promising a grand fanfare the first time you do it. That first 5 minutes will either feel like torture because you feel like you should be doing something or a struggle not to fall asleep because you finally sat still.
 
But I believe that if you start to build this into your life, give space for quiet and stillness, you will notice a positive change. Eventually that peace and fullness you receive from sitting in the presence of your Creator will be carried with you through the day. As His word promises:
 
You will keep him in perfect peace 
whose mind is stayed on You.
Isaiah 26:3
 
Let’s be more intentional with our thoughts, not allowing them to be overtaken by what we consume, but instead aligned with Who we follow after. Perhaps we’ll find less need for that consumption and find fulfillment in the only Place it can truly be found.
 
Don't miss a post! Weekly inspiration delivered direct to your inbox. Sign up HERE.

 


Comments

Post a Comment

Tell me how you live intentional. I'd love to know!

Popular posts from this blog

Madeline Nichole Suvar

The jig is up

Of loss and hope