I stand corrected...

I thought it was a thing.

I remember my mom doing it back when we were young.

Cataloging it with a picture.

12 eggs all in a row, standing up on end.

On the Spring Equinox.  It had something to do with the earth's position that eggs could stand on end on this day, perfectly balanced.

Well, that was last century.  When Google was just a word you used to describe a really big number, not a search engine.

My childhood facts were dashed, as Snopes.com revealed the truth.

The Chinese are often cited as having originated the practice of standing eggs on end during the equinox. Just as the equinox symbolically restores balance to the world by signalling its rebirth after a season of darkness, the equinox literally balances the day by dividing it into equal portions of darkness and light.
Nonetheless, the vernal equinox brings no special egg-balancing properties with it. Standing an egg on its end is something just about anyone can do any day of the year; the feat simply takes the right egg and a little trial and practice.

Well, bummer.

Nonetheless, it didn't keep us from taking a picture of the feat.
 
Owen was actually the one to do it.  Amazingly, he did it in less than 10 seconds, so I don't know Snopes, we might have something here....

Supposedly Spring was ushered in at around 6:30ish this evening (I thought it was an all day thing, but I digress).  As soon as we balanced the egg, Maddie went running to the window:

"The flowers!  The flowers! Where are all the beautiful flowers?"

Sorry, Maddie, it takes a little longer than that for Spring to show it's colors.

But I promise it will happen soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The jig is up

Madeline Nichole Suvar

Of loss and hope