Whew! We did it!

All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. So I run with purpose in every step. I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. I Corinthians 9:25-27
So the race we had been training since April for finally came and went. Paul and I ran the Columbus Marathon (he the full, me the half) this past weekend. The kids stayed with the grandparents (thank you!) and we headed down to Columbus to take a shot at reaching our desired goals. We had gorgeous running weather. The race started at 7:30, just before the sunrise hit downtown, with a cool, crisp high 40's morning. By the end of the race it was mid 60's and sunny. Paul started our morning with a prayer and verse (can you guess which one?) and I was reminded of it as I was running later that morning. Training for a big race has quite the correlation of running the race of life spiritually speaking. Both take discipline, perseverance, and remembering how great it will be at the end when we finish! Although the finish line at the race is a far shot from heaven, it definitely has a great feeling when you know you ran the race well, gave all you got, and finished with a smile on your face. And I know the crown of victory I get someday will far outshine the medal hung around my neck this weekend! There were all types of runners (15,000 if i remember correctly) coming from all walks of life. But one thing you felt throughout the crowd was runners encouraging others they didn't even know to continue on and reminding them of the finish ahead. How important it is to encourage our fellow Christians to continue on even when everything is aching and remember the prize at the end!
This race was a great reminder to keep an eternal focus and to keep striving for that heavenly goal. I thank God He gave me a body with the ability to move and to even complete the 13.1 miles this past weekend. It was an awesome experience and to God be all the glory!

I think I'm gonna do it again next year :)

Comments

  1. Wow! Congrats to you both! What a great accomplishment.

    If you're going to do it again next year, let me know. I might want to join you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Tell me how you live intentional. I'd love to know!

Popular posts from this blog

The jig is up

Madeline Nichole Suvar

Of loss and hope